Saturday, May 24, 2014

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 7 - Final Thoughts

I am participating in Dirty Diaper Laundry's 4th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge.  One week of using flat diapers and covers, with no washer or dryer.

The Flats and Handwashing Challenge ended this past weekend.  I am running behind on posting.  You know life.



To be totally honest I was really glad when the challenge was over.  I took it on knowing that adding extra to my day would be tough, but I wanted to do it because I know I am more capable than I give myself credit for.  We survived and now I get to go back to lugging diapers to my mom's house to be washed and dried.  Not having a washer of my own makes cloth diapering difficult.  Honestly I go through long periods of time using disposables for the sole purpose of not having to lug dirty diapers to my mom's house and then being without those diapers for a few days.  I can't afford enough diapers to be without the clean ones for 3 days and still have enough to use for Brady.  Just isn't going to happen.  So I find myself more often than not either using disposables or running around trying to make time to wash diapers between running errands that happen to pass by my mom's house.  I am lucky to have the option of buying disposable diapers.  I am lucky that as of right now I don't HAVE to decide between food and diapers.  But you never know when you will be in that position.  I take this challenge to prove to myself that I CAN do more than I give myself credit for.

Also because of this challenge I will be selling off my pocket diapers, and moving forward with using flats and covers full time.  I can't stand the difficulty of using pockets, and while they are "easier" and more "convenient" flats just jive better with my washing ability and they are more forgiving when I am sick or too tired to bring diapers to be washed more than once a week (eeeek!).  I have ruined many a diaper for that reason.  Using flats also brought out a creative side.  I will be dying my diapers (stay tuned for that!) as well as making my own diaper covers (wish me luck as I am as creative as a rock!) to show that you can have some "cute" poop catchers (lol) while still staying on budget.



Thanks to everyone that has been reading my blog during this challenge.  I hope you stick around.


Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment