Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 2 - Whatcha got?

I am participating in Dirty Diaper Laundry's 4th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge.  One week of using flat diapers and covers, with no washer or dryer.


Today is day numero 2 of the challenge and despite being sick (damn spring/summer colds stink!) and having all 3 of my boys acting crazy all the time I have managed to stay ahead of the game washing diapers.  When I did the challenge 2 years ago I let a couple of days lapse between washing and boy did I learn my lesson.  I wasn't sure how it was going to be doing this with Thing 3 because he is used to stay dry diapers, but he doesn't seem to mind.  We are averaging about 6 to 8 flats a day and 2 to 3 covers.  Nothing too crazy.  I only have been using our stay dry liners when he is going down for a nap or going to bed.

Today I am writing about the fun part of the challenge.  The supplies!


For this challenge I am using 8 - Flip daytime inserts, 6 Stashify  Pad-fold bamboo flats, and 12 Green Mountain Diapers unbleached flats.  If I were to buy all of these new it would cost $133 for these 26 diapers.  I already had the Flip inserts in my stash from my first son.  There are many cheaper options when it comes to flats that work just as good.  I also love Diaper Rite flats which can be bought for around $20 per dozen.


Next up are my covers.  I am using 3 Flip Covers, 3 Econobum covers, and one majorly felted SBISH underwoolie that I got from my friend.  The Flips covers I already had, but they can be bought for $14 per cover and the Econobums go for around $11.  I was able to score a 3-pack of Ecnobum seconds covers for $15 which was a huge deal.  Other great brands of covers that are easy on the budget are Thirsties, Kawaii, and Bummis.   Cost for covers - $60


Next up is my Cotton Babies Fleece diaper liners.  They work great and wash up even better.  These were 5.99 for 6.  Total cost - $12 for 12.


Last is my handy Wonder Wash.  I am using it to wash diapers during the Challenge.   Cost - $39.99

Other supplies (gloves, snappi, wipes - $5)

Now I could have done this a lot cheaper, but I wanted to try some new things for the Challenge.  I could diaper my son from birth to potty training with this stash with no problem.  But if you think about how much disposables cost weekly throughout the time your child is in diapers, the start up cost of diapering with flats is minimal.  

Grand Total - $249.99

This can be done MUCH MUCH cheaper with still having the same results.  Check out what my fellow bloggers are using for their challenge! 







No comments:

Post a Comment